Softball/Base runner

On a 14u fastpitch game, the runner at first base tried to steal second. The catcher threw to second base and hit the runner that was trying to steal second.  Is this considered a dead ball? The umpire allowed the runner to take an extra base (third). Was this the right call? Or was the runner supposed to stay at second?

Hi Richard,

Unless the runner intentionally interfered with the throw it is nothing, it is a live ball and we continue to play.  It is exactly as if the ball was thrown into center field w/out touching the runner.

The umpire was correct in not killing the play and allowing the runner to go to 3rd or whatever base they could make.  I'm assuming the umpire did not award 3rd base to the runner just let play continue.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)