Softball/Base runner

Question
On a 14u fastpitch game, the runner at first base tried to steal second. The catcher threw to second base and hit the runner that was trying to steal second.  Is this considered a dead ball? The umpire allowed the runner to take an extra base (third). Was this the right call? Or was the runner supposed to stay at second?

Answer
Hi Richard,

Unless the runner intentionally interfered with the throw it is nothing, it is a live ball and we continue to play.  It is exactly as if the ball was thrown into center field w/out touching the runner.

The umpire was correct in not killing the play and allowing the runner to go to 3rd or whatever base they could make.  I'm assuming the umpire did not award 3rd base to the runner just let play continue.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose