Softball/BOO in COED

We had a call recently where B9(male) batted in front of B8 (female).  The appeal was made by the defense after the first pitch where the umpire simply replaced B9 with B8 and she assumed the 2-1 count without penalty.  Was this the correct call?  Everyone on the defense was furious because they felt B9 should have been ruled out.

Hi Bryan,

They can be furious all they want, that's just another very common case of some people who play the game not knowing the rules and bitching about the proper call.

In ASA if a batter is found BOO while still at bat either by the offense or defense they are simply replaced by the proper batter who assumes the count.  There is no penalty.  ASA 7-2-d

If the defense had understood the basic BOO rules they would have waited until B9 had completed their turn at bat, then appealed the BOO in which case they could have gotten on out on B8.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)