Softball/ASA Slow-Pitch Batters Box

Joseph wrote at 2014-08-31 11:52:40
Rule 7,  Section 6D  ststes the entire  foot has to be out of the batter's box  at time of contact of ball for the batter to be called out.  So merely having part of the foot outside the box should not  be an out call,  unless that part of the foot is touching home plate.

Joseph wrote at 2014-08-31 12:06:31
The original answer is correct though as stated by Rule 7,  Section 3A,  both feet must entirely be in the batter's box at the time of the pitch.  But in practice,  i don't think this is ever really invoked because the penalty of this (calling the batter out) is covered by rule 7,  Sec 6D.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)