Softball/Obstructions at second base

Greg wrote at 2013-06-04 07:55:07
However, if the runner just stops at 2B and makes no motion or attempt to move to 3B, the umpire cannot call obstruction between 2B and 3B.  I agree that contact is not necessary for obstruction to be called.  However, the runner must show that she intended to go to 3B.

drmark wrote at 2013-06-05 12:28:52
I disagree, there is nothing in the rules that puts any responsibility on the runner to attempt to achieve a base, simply if they are impeded legally running the bases.  We call Obstruction. If we do we award the base the runner would have made in our opinion had they not been obstructed.  In the OP I did not say that this runner should get 3rd or 2nd, I didn't see the play, I simply stated that the umpire was incorrect that contact was necessary for obstruction.

however an example...ball hit in gap to fence, F3 is standing on 1st and b-r collides with them and goes down and stays down.  We have Obstruction. They have not attempted to achieve any other base, yet we may award them 3rd or even home.

James A Roberts wrote at 2013-08-12 17:22:04
Hey Mark,

Just to expound on this particular issue, and then I'll leave  you alone for the rest of the day.

In order to have obstruction, would the runner not have had to continue on to 3rd?  Obstruction happened at 2nd, runner goes half-way and decides she can't make it so returns to 2nd, you drop the delayed dead-ball signal as she is now safely back to A base in which she was obstructed.

The reason I ask is that I had a call where the R plowed into the SS or F6 and fell but returned to 2B after the collision.  I had the runner protected to 3B but they CHOSE to go back to 2B which drops my obstruction call.

drmarka wrote at 2013-08-14 19:41:21
it does not drop the obstruction call, you still have obstruction however there may not be an award.  If they would have made 3rd base in your opinion, even though they went back to 2nd, you award 3rd.

If they would not have made 3rd, you have protected them between the bases and have no award and they stay on 2nd.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)