Softball/Force Out Play

Question
Situation:
Bases loaded, two outs.

Batter safely hits the ball to centerfield which is quickly thrown to 2nd base to attempt a force out of the runner coming from 1st base (very slow runner).
The throw is slightly offline and forces the 2nd baseman to step off of 2nd base to catch the ball.  2nd baseman catches the ball and still has time to tag the runner coming to 2nd base before he reaches the base.

In the meantime, all other players have safely reached their bases before the tag was made.

Umpire ruled:
The umpire ruled that the run scored before the tag was made near 2nd base for the 3rd out.

My interpretation:
I thought that even though the runner was tagged out instead of forced out by touching 2nd base, it was still considered a force play because the runner was forced to vacate 1st base.
If this was a force play, the run cannot score.

We eventually won in extra innings, but we should have won the game before extra innings.

Thanks,
Ralph

Answer
Hi Ralph,

I have no idea why the umpire would say the run scores in this situation.   They were forced from 1st by the batter becoming a b-r Before the runner achieved 2nd base they were put out = force out. By rule no run can score.

It's time your team learned the "P" word!

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose