Throw from short to first to get batter runner is overthrown and first base coach puts up his hands to protect his face. Had it not hit coach, ball would have gone out of play. Do we have a dead ball with batter runner awarded first and other runners getting last base touched (unless forced to advance) or two bases from release....or something else i may not have thought of.......thank you

Hi Tom,

ASA 8-7-O The runner is out...

"When a coach intentionally interferes with a thrown ball, or interferes with the defensive team's opportunity to make a play on another runner. A batted or thrown ball that unintentionally hits a base coach is not considered interference"

If there was interference the runner closest to home would be out and runners return to last base touched at the time.

I don't see anything here, so we have nothing, play on.  The coach actually helped the defense.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)