Softball/overthrow

Question
Throw from short to first to get batter runner is overthrown and first base coach puts up his hands to protect his face. Had it not hit coach, ball would have gone out of play. Do we have a dead ball with batter runner awarded first and other runners getting last base touched (unless forced to advance) or two bases from release....or something else i may not have thought of.......thank you

Answer
Hi Tom,

ASA 8-7-O The runner is out...

"When a coach intentionally interferes with a thrown ball, or interferes with the defensive team's opportunity to make a play on another runner. A batted or thrown ball that unintentionally hits a base coach is not considered interference"

If there was interference the runner closest to home would be out and runners return to last base touched at the time.

I don't see anything here, so we have nothing, play on.  The coach actually helped the defense.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose