Must the softball game be completed in order to file a protest? The team who wants to file the protest left in the top of 7th inning without completing the game.

Hi Michael,

I think they misunderstand how a protest works.  When a team is protesting a misapplication of the playing rules, (not a bang-bang-out safe judgment call) they state such to the umpire before the next pitch, play, defense or umpires have left the field. A team cannot protest a misapplication afterward something that happened earlier in the game. The umpire informs the scorer and the other team the game is being played under protest.  The game continues.  This is what usually happens in local play.  

If the protesting teams wins the protest is nullified, because it doesn't matter.  If the team loses and the protest is upheld the game starts over at the exact point the protest was made and the error is corrected.

In tournament play  we stop the game, settle the protest right then and continue the game.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)