Softball/Infield Fly Rule

HI im allison and i'm 13 and i played a softball game today and i got called out for an infield fly rule... i dont really understand Im REALLY confused! Please help!

Hi Allison,'s very simple

1) runners must be on 1st base AND 2nd base OR have bases loaded
2) It must be a fly ball, not a line drive or bunt
3) it must be able to be caught by an infielder (inc F1 and F2)with "ordinary effort"
4) you must have less than 2 outs, so either no outs or only 1 out.

That's it, simple.  The rule is in place to protect the runners.  By calling the batter out there is no force play anywhere.  So the defense can't just let the ball drop to the ground and turn a easy double play.

The runners can run if they want, if the ball is caught they must tag up or be liable to be put out (just like any other fly ball) or they can take their chances that the ball isn't caught and run anytime.  They don't have to wait for the ball to hit the ground, but again if it's caught they have to tag up.

Write me back if you have any more questions.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)