Softball/Infield Fly Rule

Question
HI im allison and i'm 13 and i played a softball game today and i got called out for an infield fly rule... i dont really understand Im REALLY confused! Please help!

Answer
Hi Allison,

Ok...relax....it's very simple

1) runners must be on 1st base AND 2nd base OR have bases loaded
2) It must be a fly ball, not a line drive or bunt
3) it must be able to be caught by an infielder (inc F1 and F2)with "ordinary effort"
4) you must have less than 2 outs, so either no outs or only 1 out.

That's it, simple.  The rule is in place to protect the runners.  By calling the batter out there is no force play anywhere.  So the defense can't just let the ball drop to the ground and turn a easy double play.

The runners can run if they want, if the ball is caught they must tag up or be liable to be put out (just like any other fly ball) or they can take their chances that the ball isn't caught and run anytime.  They don't have to wait for the ball to hit the ground, but again if it's caught they have to tag up.

Write me back if you have any more questions.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose