Softball/Occupied bases

Question
I have a situation that occured and have a question.  Bases are loaded and a ball is hit to the shortstop.  If the shortstop gets the out at second base, can the baserunner that is running from second to third base then go back to second base? Or does that baserunner have to run to third base?

Answer
Hi Becky,

When the batter became a batter-runner w/ bases loaded all runners were "forced" from the base they were at.....Now with R3 (on 1st) being put out at 2nd that removes the force from all the runners.

R2 (on 2nd) can now legally re-acquire 2nd base if they wish and R1 (on 3rd) can go home or stay on 3rd.

So when the force is removed by the out at 2nd the runners can either go to the next base or retreat back to where they came from.

Just an extra... say R1 and R2 were now both at 3rd, R1 is legally entitled to it and R2 could be put out by tagging them even if R2 was standing on the base.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose