Softball/tag up rule

If there are runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and an outfielder catches a fly ball, the runner on 2nd leaves early and an appeal play calls the 2nd base runner out after the runner from 3rd touches home, why does the run count? The rules in softball and hardball differ. Technically, the runner is out when he leaves early. The appeal should happen from that spot before the runner touches home. It is not the opposing teams fault that they have to appeal the play which allows the runner to score before doing so. If the umpire has the authority to call the runner out as soon as he leaves early then I agree with it. what is your take on this?

Hi Andy,

you are asking me something that I cannot answer.  It is by rule that the out happens when the appeal is made, and is considered a timing play. It is also by rule that the appeal must be made by the defense and not called by the umpire.  If the defense doesn't appeal, they don't get the out.

you are basically asking me why the rule is the rule.  I do however like the softball rule, maybe because I've called it that way for so many years.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)