Softball/ASA JO Fastpitch - Flex bats for an injured player

Question
Earlier today I was at a tournament where the Flex was allowed to bat for an injured player.  The injured player had to leave the game.  There was a Sub but she was used for another player earlier in the game.  The injured player was not the DP.  Is there any ASA rule that actually allows this?

Thanks in Advance,
Doug

Answer
Hi Doug,

If it was an ASA tournie, absolutely not!  The Flex can only bat for the DP, since it is the DP who is batting for the Flex, only the DP, not anyone else, ever.  They needed to play shorthanded and take an out in that bp.

RS15 The DP and the Flex may not be on offense at the same time
or read ASA 4 A-I

This is a definite "P" word situation!

Mark  

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose