Softball/ASA softball

1)Dr. Mark, the dreaded do over. ASA tourny, girl softball. Runner on 1'st and 2'nd batter hits to short, bu calls interference, runner out. Then blue got together and made batter bat again.

2)Same game, batter bunts, bat on ground ball spins/rolls back into bat. PU yells dead ball, batter out. I "politely" asked for time and asked why, pu says ball hit bat. I said there is nothing wrong with that, back and forth...I asked if they would confer with bu on the rule. They get together, rule batter not out, runners go back and batter bats again. I know they messed up calling dead ball.....what would have been a better solution besides a "blue" do over? Thanks

Hi jan,

I assume they cancelled the we probably have obstruction, I'm loading the bases

I'm awarding the b-r 1st base

This is very difficult w/out seeing the play(s), talking to the umpires, etc but generally I don't do do-overs

Anybody else got other ideas??

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)