Softball/Fair or foul

In slow pitch, batter tips the ball when swinging, ball hits the plate, bounces and comes right back and stops on plate, hitting nothing else.  Fair, foul or dead ball?b

Hi Rodney,

You know I get this question every now and then and I wish I knew the history of why it's commonly thought that this would be a foul ball.

Home plate like every other base on the field is in fair territory, all of it. The foul lines run to the back point of the plate.  This would be a fair batted ball, the same as if a ball settled on 1st or 3rd base.

In fact the ball could hit foul, roll onto the plate and stop there, fair ball.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)