Softball/Slow pitch strike

For years I have contended that a pitched soft ball that the batter does not swing at, but a pitch that "hits on the plate" can NOT be a strike.  I believe that such a pitch has not "crossed the plate".  If I am correct is there an accepted source that I can site?  Thank you

Hi George,

Except for using a mat where a pitch hitting the plate is a strike, nowhere else in SP is that true.  I'm really surprised that anyone would dispute that.

ASA (SP) 7-5-b a ball is called.... for each legally pitched ball....or touches home plate, and yes in ASA the "black" is part of the plate. So it cannot by rule be a strike (unless swung at)

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)