Softball/umpire rule question

Is their a rule in a mens slo pitch game 5 infielders does the fifth player have to be in the grass or could he play right behind second base?

Hi Ed,

Except in co-ed where a "5 man" infield is illegal, this defensive positioning has been around for at least 20-25 years.  In '94 and '96 my team won 2 MASA "A" state championships playing only "5 man"

The actual rule is all defensive players exc F2 must be in fair position at the start of the pitch.  So you could if you wanted to put everyone in the infield, or anything else you could dream of.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)