Softball/umpire rule question

Question
Is their a rule in a mens slo pitch game 5 infielders does the fifth player have to be in the grass or could he play right behind second base?

Answer
Hi Ed,

Except in co-ed where a "5 man" infield is illegal, this defensive positioning has been around for at least 20-25 years.  In '94 and '96 my team won 2 MASA "A" state championships playing only "5 man"

The actual rule is all defensive players exc F2 must be in fair position at the start of the pitch.  So you could if you wanted to put everyone in the infield, or anything else you could dream of.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose