Softball/ASA softball

Question
Dr. can a umpire ask another ump for help,even if neither team asks for an appeal?  Ball was hit to left field, runner from first advances to third on the base hit. Home ump, called runner safe at third, did not see if tag was made. The runner slid between the third baseman and left field, third baseman "blocked" home umps veiw of tag. 1)Is it "ok" for home ump to ask base ump what they saw? 2) Should home ump wait until/if defense appeals?

What is correct precedure for blue on this one? Thanks

Answer
Hi  Jan,

It's not unusual at all for 1 umpire to go to another for help right away if they feel they were blocked out, didn't see a pulled foot or a bobbled ball, etc. and the other umpire might have had a better look.

No appeal is necessary.

Mark  

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose