Softball/ASA softball

Dr. can a umpire ask another ump for help,even if neither team asks for an appeal?  Ball was hit to left field, runner from first advances to third on the base hit. Home ump, called runner safe at third, did not see if tag was made. The runner slid between the third baseman and left field, third baseman "blocked" home umps veiw of tag. 1)Is it "ok" for home ump to ask base ump what they saw? 2) Should home ump wait until/if defense appeals?

What is correct precedure for blue on this one? Thanks

Hi  Jan,

It's not unusual at all for 1 umpire to go to another for help right away if they feel they were blocked out, didn't see a pulled foot or a bobbled ball, etc. and the other umpire might have had a better look.

No appeal is necessary.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)