Softball/co ed men on infield

hey Dr. i recently had a game in wich i was winning by a suficient amount of runs, so i decided to put all my girls in the outfield and all guys in the infield but the umpire said i could not have more than 4 guys in the infield is that true? this is coed league 5 guys 5 girls on field

Hi jaime,

coed has so many local exemptions that sometimes I wonder if it has any rules at all.

In strict ASA play pitcher and catcher must be opposite sexes, 2 females and 2 males in the infield and 2 males and females in the outfield.

3 let alone 4 of the same sex in the infield (don't count F1 or F2) or outfield would not be allowed in strict ASA play.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)