Softball/Does run count

Runners are on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs.  Grounder hit to 2nd basement and she tags the runner from 1st for the 3rd out (she is forced). If the runner from 3rd base touches the plate prior to the tag (3rd out) does the run score?

Hi Lisa,

No the run would not count! By rule, ANYTIME the 3rd out of an inning is a force out no run can score.

Take an example of a bases loaded triple w/ 2 out and R3 (on 1st) misses 2nd base and is properly appealed for missing the base after the play has ended.  The fact that is an appeal doesn't matter, R3 is forced to 2nd base and is called out.  NO runs would score in this example.
It is the same in your OP.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)