Softball/Illegal pitching advanced runners

Question
The high school pitcher did not touch her glove before delivering the ball and it was called an illegal pitch.

The umpire sent the third base runner home. Is this the high schools rules. this happened twice and the opposing team won the game because of the illegal pitches.

Answer
Hi Randy,

An IP in FP can have pretty significant penalties.  When an IP is called the coach (offense) can take the result of the play (if any) or elect to take a ball on the batter and advance all base runners 1 base.

An exception is if an IP is called, the batter hits the ball and reaches 1st base safely and if all other runners have advanced at least 1 base, the IP is nullified and all action stands.  No option is given.

I guess the pitcher needs needs to get better on the basics or it's going to hurt.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose