Softball/Illegal pitching advanced runners

The high school pitcher did not touch her glove before delivering the ball and it was called an illegal pitch.

The umpire sent the third base runner home. Is this the high schools rules. this happened twice and the opposing team won the game because of the illegal pitches.

Hi Randy,

An IP in FP can have pretty significant penalties.  When an IP is called the coach (offense) can take the result of the play (if any) or elect to take a ball on the batter and advance all base runners 1 base.

An exception is if an IP is called, the batter hits the ball and reaches 1st base safely and if all other runners have advanced at least 1 base, the IP is nullified and all action stands.  No option is given.

I guess the pitcher needs needs to get better on the basics or it's going to hurt.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)