Softball/foul tip

do you know the foul tip rule in asa as well as usssa
as far as getting an out ?

Hi greg,

ASA only for me....a foul tip is a batted ball that goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's hands or glove and is legally caught by the catcher.  It is not a foul tip unless caught and every foul tip is a strike. If it is the 3rd strike it is an out.

The ball must 1st touch the catcher's hand or glove for it to be a foul tip.
If the catcher moves their glove to catch the ball or the batted ball has a perceptible arc it is not a foul tip but a foul ball.

I imagine u-trip is very similar and the ASA rule is probably a good basis to start, but I am not and do not claim to be an expert in their rules.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)