1)Ball hits fence in center field ..then hits off outfielders
glove/person and goes over fence before hitting ground

what is the call?

2)if when the ball hits off the fence ...then hits the ground then hits off outfielders glove/person and goes
over fence
what is that call?

thank you

Hi Greg,

I answered this a couple days ago, it might have went to your spam box.

By rule in both cases the the ball is dead and runners are awarded 2 bases from the time of the pitch. (sometimes called a GRD)

I don't think you're asking this but in either case if it was intentionally deflected out of play it is 2 bases from the last base touched at the time the ball entered DBT.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)