Softball/leaving field of play

Runners on 1st and 2nd, ball hit to 2baseman and she steps on 2nd base and throws to third.  Third baseman missing tag but umpire calls out. Runner runs to her dugout and enters. The umpires then conference and declare tag was missed at third. Runner comes back onto the field and is allowed to stay on third base.  I appeal saying the player left the field of play and umpires say since it was their error, she is not out for leaving field of play.  Did I have a legitimate appeal?

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry you don't have a leg to stand on here.  Rule 10-c-3 also known as the "god rule" gives the umpire the power to rectify any decision(of an umpire) that places (among other things) a runner in jeopardy. That's what happened here.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)