Softball/leaving field of play

Question
Runners on 1st and 2nd, ball hit to 2baseman and she steps on 2nd base and throws to third.  Third baseman missing tag but umpire calls out. Runner runs to her dugout and enters. The umpires then conference and declare tag was missed at third. Runner comes back onto the field and is allowed to stay on third base.  I appeal saying the player left the field of play and umpires say since it was their error, she is not out for leaving field of play.  Did I have a legitimate appeal?

Answer
Hi Mark,

I'm sorry you don't have a leg to stand on here.  Rule 10-c-3 also known as the "god rule" gives the umpire the power to rectify any decision(of an umpire) that places (among other things) a runner in jeopardy. That's what happened here.

mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose