Softball/base running

Question
In ASA if the runner on first base sees the long fly ball is about to be caught - he backs up towards the dugout about 2 steps in order to see the catch, after the catch he then runs towards second retouching first base and continue to second.   Is it a delayed dead ball and the runner is out.
can you give the rule set for it?

Answer
Hi kw,

The runner is specifically by rule....out!  The ball remains live.

ASA 8-7-v  "The runner is out....when a runner is positioned behind and not in contact with the base to get a running start on any fly ball."

The umpire simply calls "R1 (or whoever) is OUT!" and we play on.  Even if the ball is not caught, they are still out.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose