Softball/Double Base

Question
ASA Double Base Rule...this play occurred in an 8u game.  Batter-Runner advances toward first base and steps on the white base just before the throw is caught by the first baseman touching the white base.  The batter-runner never runs past the base thus not setting up an appeal time for the defensive team.  Is the batter-runner out for not touching the orange base or safe because she did not run through 1st base and stopped on the base?

Answer
Hi Michael,

good question and it occasionally comes up in clinics.  The rule states that the defense has to make an appeal before the b-r returns to the base.  

In this case they never left the base so how can the defense make an appeal? They can't so the batter-runner is safe.

It doesn't happen very often in my experience, I don't think the vast majority of umpires have or ever will see it, but it is IMO a small quirk in the double base rule.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose