Softball/Runner on 1st doesn't leave base and is tagged before runner reaches 1st

uncle duke wrote at 2014-05-15 14:25:37
I beg to differ Mark, the ump made the right call. Infield fly rule is in effect in this situation. Base runner has the right to the bag {1st base} and the batter is out. Only one of the players {base runner/batter} may be called out in this situation. It's only fair for the base runner. If the rules have been changed for infield fly 2014 then I stand corrected.  

drmarka wrote at 2014-05-17 11:59:34
Hi UD,

you misread the question.....There is no IF, 2nd base per the OP is open.  A runner only on 1st w/less than 2 out does not invoke the IF rule.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose