Softball/Pitchers hitting batters

Question
Hello I am new 12u coach in a very small town and we play Tri-county League teams. At tonight's game the opposing teams pitcher hit 2 of my girls in one inning and 2 more in the second inning. And I asked if the ump could pull her? I was told that if she hit one more then she would be pulled from the mound. Is there any rule in effect for limits within ASA? Thank you for your advice. I'm just trying to keep my girls from getting hurt. The opposing teams coach immediately took it wrong and got a nasty attitude with me .

Answer
Hi Samantha,

There are no ASA "Book" rules on removing pitchers who hit a certain number of batters and the PU has no authority to remove a pitcher no matter how many batters they hit.  The pitcher's coach is the one to make any decision on that.

Unless you have some local league rule (which I doubt since you as the coach are not familiar with it) if the PU was to remove the pitcher, the other coach has every right to bring out the "P" word.

At 12U I wouldn't worry too much about a batter being hurt w/ a pitched ball, the velocity just isn't there.  Maybe a little sting or black and blue mark but nothing serious is going to happen.  I'm much more worried about batters who throw bats at that age (or any)level.

Mark  

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose