Softball/Pitchers hitting batters

Hello I am new 12u coach in a very small town and we play Tri-county League teams. At tonight's game the opposing teams pitcher hit 2 of my girls in one inning and 2 more in the second inning. And I asked if the ump could pull her? I was told that if she hit one more then she would be pulled from the mound. Is there any rule in effect for limits within ASA? Thank you for your advice. I'm just trying to keep my girls from getting hurt. The opposing teams coach immediately took it wrong and got a nasty attitude with me .

Hi Samantha,

There are no ASA "Book" rules on removing pitchers who hit a certain number of batters and the PU has no authority to remove a pitcher no matter how many batters they hit.  The pitcher's coach is the one to make any decision on that.

Unless you have some local league rule (which I doubt since you as the coach are not familiar with it) if the PU was to remove the pitcher, the other coach has every right to bring out the "P" word.

At 12U I wouldn't worry too much about a batter being hurt w/ a pitched ball, the velocity just isn't there.  Maybe a little sting or black and blue mark but nothing serious is going to happen.  I'm much more worried about batters who throw bats at that age (or any)level.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)