Softball/Runner on 1st doesn't leave base and is tagged before runner reaches 1st

Mark - Runner on 1st (2nd base unoccupied) less than 2 out.  A low pop-up was hit in the vicinity of 1st base.  1st baseman could not make the catch - the runner never left the base and 1st baseman could not manuever around the runner to catch ball (ball landed directly at the feet of the runner on 1st).  Ball remained in fair territory, was picked up by pitcher who first tagged the runner currently occupying the base, then tagged the base to force the batter.  Umpire ruled that batter was out and runner was safe because he had a right to the bag, even though runner was tagged before pitcher touched 1st base with foot.  How do you see this?

Hi Mark,

I see this correctly and not the way your umpire saw it.

R1 has no right to the base once the batter becomes a batter-runner.  Tagging R1 anywhere except them standing on 2nd is an out.  Then the b-r was out by the touch at 1st.

This is not a difficult nor that uncommon a call.  The umpire should know better.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)