Softball/ASA d3k

Question
Were is book does it refer to batter being ok not going directly to first on d3k? Say they head towards dugout (do not leave playing field) then realize they should run to first. Thank you.

Answer
Hi Jan,

Like many other things that happen in softball the book doesn't specifically say "on a d3k if the b-r goes toward their dugout but changes their mind before then and runs to 1st , it's ok."

So we put together the rules that tell us what to do....ie the batter becomes a b-r when the catcher fails to catch the 3rd strike before....(ASA8-1-b)

The b-r is out "when the b-r fails to advance to 1st base and enters the team area.....(ASA 8-2-d)  This 1 is enough for many umpires, didn't enter...no out.  Defense has to make a play.

and we also know the runner is not out "when a runner does not run in a direct line to a base..." ASA 8-8-b

So in understanding many softball rules you need to know the entirety of the book and how 1 rule adds to others to get the right call.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose