Softball/ASA slow pitch softball

Runner on third and second with one out. Batter hits fly ball that is caught in outfield. Runner on third leaves early, both runners score. Appeal is made (way after both runners scored)on runner at third leaving early. Appeal made by pitcher before next legal or illegal pitch. Appeal is granted, runner at third called out, third out.

Question 1; does the run count (runner from second)? Why, if it does or doesn't. Rule number in book on this, also please.

Question 2; would run count if ball thrown to third, with everyone known this is non verbal appeal, before runner on second scores?

Question 3; would run count if ball thrown to third after runner on second scored? Is this basically the same situation as question 1?

Thank you.

Hi Jan,

R2's run would not count because ASA run can score if the 3rd out of an inning is a preceding runner declared out on an appeal play.

There is no such thing as a "non verbal appeal".  The defense should always tell the umpire what kind of appeal they are they left early ie.  Still no run would score, R1 is out on appeal.

Again no run would score, preceding runner is 3rd out.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)