Softball/ASA slow pitch softball

Question
Runner on third and second with one out. Batter hits fly ball that is caught in outfield. Runner on third leaves early, both runners score. Appeal is made (way after both runners scored)on runner at third leaving early. Appeal made by pitcher before next legal or illegal pitch. Appeal is granted, runner at third called out, third out.

Question 1; does the run count (runner from second)? Why, if it does or doesn't. Rule number in book on this, also please.

Question 2; would run count if ball thrown to third, with everyone known this is non verbal appeal, before runner on second scores?

Question 3; would run count if ball thrown to third after runner on second scored? Is this basically the same situation as question 1?

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Jan,

R2's run would not count because ASA 5-5-b-3...no run can score if the 3rd out of an inning is a preceding runner declared out on an appeal play.

There is no such thing as a "non verbal appeal".  The defense should always tell the umpire what kind of appeal they are making....blue they left early ie.  Still no run would score, R1 is out on appeal.

Again no run would score, preceding runner is 3rd out.

mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose