Softball/Batting out of order

1st batter flies out.  Second batter comes to the plate and defense realizes that 1st batter has batted out of order.  Apparently umpire deems her at bat void and team is penalized an out.  2 batters later, girl who hit out of order comes to bat.  Is this correct?  Can she bat twice an inning?

Hi Tracy,

If BOO was appealed before a pitch to the 2nd batter,

The person who should have batted is out.
The person who batted, their turn is negated (doesn't count)
That batter can bat again if their regular turn comes up during the inning.

So yes she can bat twice.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)