Softball/Obstruction of Runner

Had this situation last night during 11 & 12 yr old game.
Base runner on 2B steals on dropped ball by catcher. Fielder at 3B is in baseline as runner approaches and intentionally trips runner before the catcher throws the ball. Runner is sent flying over the 3B bag and lands a few feet away and is scrambling on the ground to get back to bag, when fielder catches the ball she then slaps runner in the back of the head as she attempts to get back on base. Umpire calls runner out. Is this obstruction/interference ?

Hi Dwight,

"intentionally trips runner" you're kidding me! even if unintentional....

Obstruction, delayed dead ball, on tag.....dead ball, award runner 3rd base

Intentional trip...F5 is gone

HTBT...."slaps runner in the back of the head"  F5 is really gone.

Even though obstruction is a judgment call asking the umpire why they didn't call obstruction might result in the "P" word being used.  I would also discuss why F5 was not ejected for USC.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)