Softball/Is there a travesty rule?

Question
As an umpire in an ASA men's and coed league, I have run across this problem a few times.  Is there any ASA rule which applies to a team intentionally not making an effort to make plays which would result in outs in order to allow them to bat another time or two?  I have heard the word "travesty" tossed around but do not find it mentioned in the rule book.  I find it disgusting for teams to do this.  This team runs up big leads and then just goofs around to avoid the run rule.

Answer
Hi Chuck,

Nope, no travesty rule for that.  I understand the players pay for and want to play and bat.  I usually side with them on that if it doesn't get too egregious.

If they push it too far you can remind the manager of ASA 5-4-e "if a team employs tactics noticeably designed to delay....the game".  We would have a forfeit, but that's a hydrogen bomb to use.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose