Softball/Hit by fair batted ball

Dear Mark,

With R1 at 2B, batter hits a hard and fast grounder to 2B and struck the R1 when he is on base. In the umpire judgment, the fielder could have stop and make a play at 1B. What is the ruling here?

Hi Ben,

The runner is never out when hit by a fair batted ball while in contact with a base unless they intentionally interfere with it.

In ASA (other orgs are different) if the closest defensive player is in front of the base, the ball is live and we play on.

If the closest defensive player is behind the base, the ball is dead, the b-r is awarded 1st base and all other runners advance only if forced.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)