Softball/Hit by fair batted ball

Question
Dear Mark,

With R1 at 2B, batter hits a hard and fast grounder to 2B and struck the R1 when he is on base. In the umpire judgment, the fielder could have stop and make a play at 1B. What is the ruling here?

Thanks

Answer
Hi Ben,

The runner is never out when hit by a fair batted ball while in contact with a base unless they intentionally interfere with it.

In ASA (other orgs are different) if the closest defensive player is in front of the base, the ball is live and we play on.

If the closest defensive player is behind the base, the ball is dead, the b-r is awarded 1st base and all other runners advance only if forced.

Mark  

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose