If an out fielder catches a fly ball while leaning over the home run fence, and continues to flip over the fence after the catch, never touching the ground in the playing field, is it a home run or an out?

Hi Brian,

if the outfielder establishes possession before touching dead ball area (a legal catch) it is an out.  If full possession is not established (such as a bobble etc) while touching dead ball area it is a hr.

In your OP "after the catch" (leap doesn't matter) it seems like this should be an out.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)