None out with runner on 1B, batter swing at a 3rd strike and catcher drop the ball. Umpire called the batter out but the batter run towards 1st base hence drawing a throw from catcher to 1B which allows the runner to run from 1B to 2B. is this a form of interference?

If the fielder have the responsibility to know the 3rd strike rule, then shouldn't it be the batter's responsibility to know thr 3rd strike rule as well. What should be the ruling?

Hi Ben,

While you q makes some sense, it is not interference and is not called that way, PU should call "batter is OUT!"

ALL the responsibility is on the defense to know the situation.  Coaches need to get it into F2's head when, where and how of the DK3 situations.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)