Softball/Rain out

Hi how r u doing ? My question is this we use Asa rules and don't have an overuse rule so we were in the 4th and it started raining umps kept playing we finished forth and began 5th and we were home team and had one out and they decided to call the game saying the visitor team wins how can they do that if we were home team and we started the inning .   Thanks very much   You can text me at 9282793934 also

Hi Darwin,

In ASA you need 4 1/2 or 5 innings for a game to be official.  

Local rules are all over the place.  I would assume local rules permitted the umpires to go to the end of 4, and give the win to the team ahead at the end of 4, in your case the opp team.

Under strict ASA rules with the home team behind in the b of 5 we would resume the game at that spot.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)