Softball/Rain out

Question
Hi how r u doing ? My question is this we use Asa rules and don't have an overuse rule so we were in the 4th and it started raining umps kept playing we finished forth and began 5th and we were home team and had one out and they decided to call the game saying the visitor team wins how can they do that if we were home team and we started the inning .   Thanks very much   You can text me at 9282793934 also

Answer
Hi Darwin,

In ASA you need 4 1/2 or 5 innings for a game to be official.  

Local rules are all over the place.  I would assume local rules permitted the umpires to go to the end of 4, and give the win to the team ahead at the end of 4, in your case the opp team.

Under strict ASA rules with the home team behind in the b of 5 we would resume the game at that spot.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose