Softball/ASA Co-Ed slow pitch base running

Question
Runner on 2, 1 out. Line drive to short left. Fielded and sent to ss who steps up to tag runner. Runner applies brakes and ss misses tag. Runner was called out for evading tag?! Apparently this is the norm with one ump in particular...Am I mistaken or is there some unwritten rule in co-ed slow pitch that states any movement other than directly toward the base results in an automatic out?

Thanks!

Answer
Hi Michael.

There is a written rule in all games of softball that when a defensive player is attempting a tag a "basepath" is now established.  That is a direct line from the runner's position to the base.  The runner has 3' on either side of that line to try to avoid the tag.

The runner is not out if they stay w/in that 3' lane

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose