Softball/ASA Co-Ed slow pitch base running

Runner on 2, 1 out. Line drive to short left. Fielded and sent to ss who steps up to tag runner. Runner applies brakes and ss misses tag. Runner was called out for evading tag?! Apparently this is the norm with one ump in particular...Am I mistaken or is there some unwritten rule in co-ed slow pitch that states any movement other than directly toward the base results in an automatic out?

Hi Michael.

There is a written rule in all games of softball that when a defensive player is attempting a tag a "basepath" is now established.  That is a direct line from the runner's position to the base.  The runner has 3' on either side of that line to try to avoid the tag.

The runner is not out if they stay w/in that 3' lane

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)