Softball/ASA softball

Situation. no outs. Runner on first base. Batter hits a sinking line drive to left field. runner on first takes off for second... 5 feet from second base runner notices field umpire with his fist in the air indicating an out... runner retreats to first only to find out the home plate umpire signaled safe meaning the ball hit the ground...I argued the runner had second base made until the field umpire signaled out and forced the runner to retreat to first base under the assumption the field umpire was relaying the call from the home plate umpire. this is a clear case of the field umpire putting a runner in jeopardy. What is your answer to this? thank you.

Hi Wendell,

This would be normally the PU's call unless the BU went out on it.  Either way you have an umpire who should not be making the call, give one.  In this case it's the worst possible situation, 2 different calls, which did jeopardize the offense.

Now the umpire's need to fix this.  They should get together and decided if the ball was caught or not.  If caught get on out on the b-r and place R1 back at 1st.  If the ball was not caught put R1 on 2nd and and put the b-r on 1st.

In no case would I have an out on R1.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)