Softball/game stopped because of darkness

After 7 complete innings in a tournament game the score was tied. The home team took the field for the top of the 8th inning. The visiting team had a runner on base when the batter hit a homerun over the outfield fence. The pitcher told the umpire that it was too dark and his fielders couldn't see the ball and he wanted to stop before someone got hurt. My interpretation of the rule is the game resumes where it left off but the home team said the inning should start over. Could you clarify what the actual rule is?

hi bob,

No way we start any inning over, especially in an ASA tournie.  By rule the game resumes EXACTLY (down to the ball strike count on the batter) where it left off.

ps....any player on the roster can play in the restarted game, they need not have been at the "1st" game in order to sub in.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)