Softball/game stopped because of darkness

Question
After 7 complete innings in a tournament game the score was tied. The home team took the field for the top of the 8th inning. The visiting team had a runner on base when the batter hit a homerun over the outfield fence. The pitcher told the umpire that it was too dark and his fielders couldn't see the ball and he wanted to stop before someone got hurt. My interpretation of the rule is the game resumes where it left off but the home team said the inning should start over. Could you clarify what the actual rule is?

Answer
hi bob,

No way we start any inning over, especially in an ASA tournie.  By rule the game resumes EXACTLY (down to the ball strike count on the batter) where it left off.

Mark

ps....any player on the roster can play in the restarted game, they need not have been at the "1st" game in order to sub in.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose