Softball/slow pitch

Runner on first-- 0 outs--batter hits a line drive to third; third baseman jumps and ball goes high in the air behind him --shortstop dives and makes the catch.

when can the runner on first tag and go to 2nd?

this play actually happened

Hi Greg,

sure I've seen situations like this a number of times over my career.

By rule a runner can leave the base with a legal tag as soon as any defensive player 1st touches it.

Ie high line drive to F6 who leaps and the ball defects off his glove and goes into left field where F7 catches the ball.  Runners can leave as soon as F6 touched the ball.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)