Softball/slow pitch

Question
Runner on first-- 0 outs--batter hits a line drive to third; third baseman jumps and ball goes high in the air behind him --shortstop dives and makes the catch.

when can the runner on first tag and go to 2nd?

this play actually happened

THANKS
GREG

Answer
Hi Greg,

sure I've seen situations like this a number of times over my career.

By rule a runner can leave the base with a legal tag as soon as any defensive player 1st touches it.

Ie high line drive to F6 who leaps and the ball defects off his glove and goes into left field where F7 catches the ball.  Runners can leave as soon as F6 touched the ball.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose