Softball/tag up on fly ball

Question

RE RS 38 in ASA softball, 2 bases from time of thrown when the ball goes out of play

BUT, what is the ruling if no down runner on first and fly ball to right fielder, but the runner fails to tag up properly (that is leaves before touch by outfielder) and his headed to 2nd base but then sees the ball caught and heads towards first base and at the time of the throw is between first and second but the throw goes out of play, what is the award to the runner?

Answer
hi pete,

In ASA direction of the runner has no effect on the award and when they are returning to a base the award is 2 bases from that base.  In this situation the award is 3rd. In ASA we do not count the base they are returning to as the 1st awarded base.

The fact that they left early from the base has no effect on the award.  However that does not relieve them of having to legally retouch 1st base.  If they do not and take they award the defense can still appeal the fact that they left early and the runner would be called out.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose