Softball/ASA Fastpitch Girls -Ball out of play

Question
Hi Dr. Ambrose,
 Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer all these questions.

I was watching my daughter play in a game last Sunday.  Bases were loaded.  The ball was hit into the outfield and all runners advanced one base.  There was some fumbling of the ball and the center fielder finally threw the ball to 1B attempting to tag the runner out.  At this time the  other two runners at 2B and 3B were just standing on their bases.  Nobody attempted to run to the next base except the runner at 1B who rounded 1B.

The ball thrown to 1B was missed and went out of play.  When the ball was thrown the runners at 2B and 3B where standing on their bases.  The runner at 1B had already rounded 1B.  The runners at 2B and 3B remained standing on their bases as the ball went out of play.

The umpire ruled that no one would advance because they weren't attempting to advance when the ball went out of play.  

I never heard of that.  So I am checking with you.  Shouldn't all the runners advanced two bases, scoring two runs?

Thanks,
Doug

Answer
Hi Douglas,

Sorry for the delay I was at a family wedding out of town.

The rule is 2 bases from the time of the throw, not when it went out of play.  Attempting to advance has nothing to do with this and you could have brought out the "P" word.

R1 and 2 would both be awarded home and B3 would be awarded 3rd.

mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose