Softball/Home plate ump

My daughter played in a 14u USSSA tournament this weekend and was called out at home, and it could have been called either way. My issue is not necessarily with her being called out, but would like to know what she should have done in this situation. While running home, the catcher was standing near the top of the plate, waiting for the ball to be thrown to her, she was not obstructing the plate in any way. But, the ump had positioned himself with his right foot in the batter's box and his left foot slightly over the baseline. As she was nearly to home plate, the ball was thrown and the ump still did not move, so instead of sliding as she would normally do, she chose to stay upright and step over the ump's foot and was tagged as her foot hit the base. Her coach really did not have an answer as to what she should have done, and I understand there are no rules regarding obstruction for the umps and interference does not apply, according to the rule book. So, should she have went ahead and slid, even if it knocked the ump over, and if she had, would any penalties be imposed? She does not want to get hurt or hurt anyone and hopefully this situation will occur again, as I have never seen it happen before. Thank you for your time.

Hi Chandra,

The PU should have not been in that position and there would be no penalty for knocking them over by sliding.

This is more a coaching q than a rule q.  Ask Tom, he coaches a lot and you'll get a more more complete answer from him.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)