Softball/Runner Interference after deflection

Thank you for your earlier answer.  Let me expand on the situation and ask a second question.  

Runner ("R1") on first.  Pitcher deflects a ground ball towards second baseman.  Second baseman moves forward to field ball and crosses R1's path.  R1 has to come to an almost complete stop to avoid running into 2nd Baseman.  2nd baseman retrieves ball and flips to F6 to force R1 at second.  Does the deflection give R1 'priority' and would an obstruction call (meaning R1 would be safe) be appropriate here?

Thanks again.

Hi Brian,

In this case since F4 is not fielding a "batted" ball but a "deflected" ball and F4's action hindered R1 "R1 has to come to an almost complete stop to avoid running into 2nd baseman", I would have obstruction.  F4 has to allow R1 to clear F4's path before they can attempt to field the deflected ball.

Contact is not necessary for obstruction. (or for interference for that matter)

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)