Softball/Runner Interference after deflection

Question
Mark,

Thank you for your earlier answer.  Let me expand on the situation and ask a second question.  

Runner ("R1") on first.  Pitcher deflects a ground ball towards second baseman.  Second baseman moves forward to field ball and crosses R1's path.  R1 has to come to an almost complete stop to avoid running into 2nd Baseman.  2nd baseman retrieves ball and flips to F6 to force R1 at second.  Does the deflection give R1 'priority' and would an obstruction call (meaning R1 would be safe) be appropriate here?

Thanks again.

Answer
Hi Brian,

In this case since F4 is not fielding a "batted" ball but a "deflected" ball and F4's action hindered R1 "R1 has to come to an almost complete stop to avoid running into 2nd baseman", I would have obstruction.  F4 has to allow R1 to clear F4's path before they can attempt to field the deflected ball.

Contact is not necessary for obstruction. (or for interference for that matter)

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose