Softball/Runner interference after deflection

Question
Situation: Runner ("R1") on first.  Pitcher deflects a ground ball towards second baseman.  Second baseman moves forward into R1's base path.  Umpire rules interference.

ASA rules supplement indicate the runner is out if, after a deflection, the interference is intentional.  Based on this, I think the umpire is correct.

However, the manager of the other team insists there is an exception that when a ball is deflected by the defense the runner has the 'right of way'.   Is he correct?

Answer
Hi Brian,

In ASA the runner as you stated is not guilty of interference unless the act is intentional.  The runner has a right to a direct line to the base but that is not an absolute in a case like this.

The question the umpire's decides is...could the runner have reasonably avoided contact with the defensive player?  If yes we would have interference even on a deflected ball.  If no, we probably have obstruction.

Usually "intentional" is pretty easy to see.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose