Softball/COED Defensive Players

Question
In ASA COED can the Infield Player be playing in the grass or outfield before the ball is pitched or do they have to wait until ball is pitched and then they can back into the grass?

Answer
Hi Chris

In ASA play grass or no grass doesn't matter.  Is the defensive player playing where an infielder normally plays (just as is the outfielder playing an area a outfielder normally plays).  That's the rule, I know it seems somewhat vague but it's not.

In the umpire's judgment is the infielder playing and area an infielder normally plays.  This could be deeper on 300lb 6'5" Bubba and not so much on 5' 95lb Susie.  Are they able to cover the base they play?  If they aren't the umpire should move them until the umpire is satisfied they are playing an infield area.

Once the pitch reaches hp, is swung at or batted they may move anywhere they want.

Some local leagues use lines in the outfield and grass etc but ASA does not.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose