Softball/Fair or foul - softball

If a batted ball hits in fair territory before reaching 3rd base and bounces towards foul territory and is touched by a defender in foul territory before contacting the ground in foul territory? Is this fair or foul?

Hi David,

It is never, ever, never where the defender is that determines fair or foul.  It is where is the ball? Before 1st or 3rd (no matter where it hit(s) the ground) or anywhere in the air if THE BALL is over fair territory when 1st touched it is fair, if over foul territory it is foul.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)