Softball/fly ball, base running

Question
runners on 1b and 2b, fly ball to short right field and runners advance 1b while making contact with new base. fly ball looks like it could be caught so the runners attempt to tag up by returning to 1b and 2b. Fly ball is not caught. The runners attempt to go back to 2b and 3b. Umpire calls them out for not advancing in legal order due to the attempt to return to their original starting base after they both advanced to the next base.

Thanks

Answer
Hi James,

The ASA rule book is big enough without a so called "umpire" making up their own rules.  There is absolutely no rule telling a runner if they advance to the next base on a fly ball they cannot retreat to their previous base.  In fact in some cases such a caught ball they would have to in order to legally tag up.

The "P" word should have been used here!

mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose