Softball/Senior softball

Question
Runner on first, no outs & batter hits a short low pop up 15-20v feet from home & 5-10 feet in fair territory from the 1st base line. Pitcher & 1st baseman are both going for the ball. The batter is running to 1st in fair territory (at least 5 feet maybe more) 1st baseman pulls up to avoid a collision and the runner veers out of the way. No contact. Ball was not caught and runner gets to first.

Answer
Hi Gene,

I assume you're wanting to know if this is interference.This is a HTBT situation to be 100% sure but interference is the act of an offensive player that impedes, hinders or confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play.

A defensive player must be given the opportunity anywhere on the field to field the ball w/out being hindered.  An offensive player must vacate or not enter the territory needed for that to happen.  The b-r does not have the right to the baseline, basepath or any other misunderstood line in this case.

If F3 could have with ordinary effort caught the ball had they not been hindered I would have interference and the b-r out.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose