Softball/Senior softball

Runner on first, no outs & batter hits a short low pop up 15-20v feet from home & 5-10 feet in fair territory from the 1st base line. Pitcher & 1st baseman are both going for the ball. The batter is running to 1st in fair territory (at least 5 feet maybe more) 1st baseman pulls up to avoid a collision and the runner veers out of the way. No contact. Ball was not caught and runner gets to first.

Hi Gene,

I assume you're wanting to know if this is interference.This is a HTBT situation to be 100% sure but interference is the act of an offensive player that impedes, hinders or confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play.

A defensive player must be given the opportunity anywhere on the field to field the ball w/out being hindered.  An offensive player must vacate or not enter the territory needed for that to happen.  The b-r does not have the right to the baseline, basepath or any other misunderstood line in this case.

If F3 could have with ordinary effort caught the ball had they not been hindered I would have interference and the b-r out.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)