Dr. Ambrose, this is question 49 on the 2015 exam. They gave us correct answer as "b". I put "c". I thought base ump has last runner into third?  The 2014 rule book pg 265-266, state plate has lead runner(s) at third. Also states base ump has last runner to third.  Can you enlighten me, again?  Thanks

Hi Jan,

The correct answer is B because the BU is button hooking in, taking the tag on the catch and any throwback to 2nd.  The PU moves to 3d if necessary because we want an umpire ahead of the play and now we have a "bracket" on a possible run down. R1 is the lead runner.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)