Softball/ASA

Question
Dr. Ambrose, this is question 49 on the 2015 exam. They gave us correct answer as "b". I put "c". I thought base ump has last runner into third?  The 2014 rule book pg 265-266, state plate has lead runner(s) at third. Also states base ump has last runner to third.  Can you enlighten me, again?  Thanks

Answer
Hi Jan,

The correct answer is B because the BU is button hooking in, taking the tag on the catch and any throwback to 2nd.  The PU moves to 3d if necessary because we want an umpire ahead of the play and now we have a "bracket" on a possible run down. R1 is the lead runner.

Mark  

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose